Jay Lumen | True Techno 43
Hungarian Jay Lumen has at the top of his game for 15 years, with his next release being his debut EP on Drumcode…
Thanks for recording us a podcast, could you describe the vibe/energy were you trying to capture with your track selection?
Thanks for the request. Well, I just let my actual mood fly on the sets when I’m playing and/or recording. To be honest I don’t like to prepare a planned tracklist ahead. DJing is the art of being in the moment for me. As I had 1 hour only, I didn’t play a complete journey I guess, but rather I tried to show more colours of the techno sound in this 60-minute session.
What’s your favourite track in the mix, and did you play any of your own music?
I love the new release of Planet Rhythm. It’s a real acid banger EP from an unknown artist. It has lovely old school elements and a vocal in it. Of course, I love my new track ‘Returning’ that I played as well. It’s released on Drumcode on 5 April.
Talking of your own tracks, what’s new in your release schedule, as we would love to know more about your new music?
As I mentioned the new one is my ‘Returning’ EP for Drumcode. I’ve written 2 tracks for the release based on different moods. The first one is about the community and the reunion of people. A real summer vibe for me when I hope we can hug each other at some great raves or even on the streets. The second track ‘Mind’ has a bit more of a Detroit Techno touch to it, with an old skool back-to-basics feel. I really love the classic dusty vibe and planned to create something with a special fusion.
I hope you will like it. I made tons of new tracks in my studio in the last 12 months to be honest, so I do have more planned releases for the year but I don’t have any concrete information yet. Probably another release will be coming around the second half or end of May on my Footwork label. But we don’t have the exact release date yet. You can be updated on my socials. 🙂
What do you think would be the perfect setting for someone to listen to your mix, and why do you think that would be the best place?
The best would be a dancefloor with a HQ soundsystem at a massive rave. That’s what we really need after a long break I guess.
Who is your personal favourite DJ, and how have they influenced your own style?
Wow I cannot choose only one favourite DJ. I was really inspired by Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Sven Väth, Adam Beyer, Ben Sims, Steve Stoll and many of the first generation of techno artists. These guys and of course many others from those years just built up the basics of the techno scene. From end of 80s to the end 90s and early years of the 2000sm you can find so many great DJ sets and tracks as well. It was about freedom of music without any serious limits of genres. That’s that I love right up until today. I don’t like the grey DJ sets on the same level or on the seriously boxed sub-genre. The wide spectrum, the colourful vibe is very important for me. That’s an aspect I also love to show myself in my DJ sets and tracks.
Do you have a message for your fans or anything else you want to add?
I hope to see you soon at some raves my friends. I miss you. Stay healthy! 🙂
01. Monofade – Where I Am (Framewerk’s Intro Mix) [Capital Heaven]
02. Oostil & Heik – The Great Spiral (Original Mix) [ATLANT]
03. Alan Fitzpatrick & Mylo Fitzpatrick – Take Control (Original Mix) [We Are The Brave]
04. Confidential Recipe – Body (Detroit Feelings Mix) [Rekids]
05. Ayako Mori – Back To The Dark (Original Mix) [Physical Techno]
06. BEC – Pleasure Seeker (Pan-Pot UKW Mix) [Second State]
07. Unknown Artist – Live Or Die (3031010) [Planet Rhythm]
08. DJ Dextro – Delta (Original Mix) [Onh.Cet]
09. Ramiro Lopez – Infectious (Reform Remix) [ODD Recordings]
10. Unknown Artist – Unknown Promo [CDR/White Label]
11. Lukas Firtzer – Clausura (Original Mix) [Suara]
12. DJ Dextro – Alfa (Original Mix) [Onh.Cet]
13. Annika Wolfe – Vibrate (Original Mix) [WRKTRX]
14. Jay Lumen – Returning (Original Mix) [Drumcode]
15. Uncertain – Frantic (Original Mix) [Mindshake Records]
16. Lowerzone – Mute (Original Mix) [JAM]
17. MRD – Oslo (Original Mix) [Arts]
18. Jay Lumen – From Outer Space (Original Mix) [Footwork]
You can pick up a copy of Jay Lumen’s new release on Drumcode from HERE